A week later ...

‘How did it go, sweetheart?’ I called as soon as Keith came through the front door. He sailed into the living room, leaned across the sofa back and kissed me, before replying. ‘I got the job!’He sounded excited, happy and light-hearted. ‘Hey! That’s wonderful!’ I grabbed his arms and tumbled him over the back of the sofa into my lap, holdinghim down as he laughed and tried to fend off my invading hands. ‘I am glad it worked out.’ I said, and gavehim another quick kiss. ‘Me too,’ Keith said, trying to catch his breath, as he scrambled into a sitting position. I pulled away, suddenly serious. ‘Keith, listen. Are you sure – really sure - this is what you want?’ He looked me back in the eye, and I could see him hesitate for a moment, thinking. He frowned once, andthen nodded his head firmly. ‘Yes, Dusty. I didn’t think I would like the idea of getting stuck into a routine job,but … I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, and I think it’s actually ok … honest. And Danny’s been great. So yes, this is what I want.’ I touched Keith's face, feeling a mixture of relief, tenderness and peace. `OK, babe.' I said softly.Keith turned his head suddenly, and kissed my hand.`OK,' he echoed.

T H E E N D